Saint Laurence Chapel Homeless Shelter was conceived in 1988 through the auspices of the Diocese of Southeast Florida, Episcopal Mental Health Ministries,by a group of lay people and clergy who were concerned about the needs of homeless people, especially the mentally ill homeless. They incorporated and began to plan the primary focus of their work, which is now Saint Laurence Chapel Homeless Shelter. Start-up funds were solicited and a grant of $35,000.00 from the Diocese gave impetus to fund-raising activities.
In late 1989, the building at 1537 North Dixie Highway in Pompano Beach was leased and renovations began. The first Executive Director, the Rev. Herbert W. Scott, experienced in providing community social services, was selected and began his work on February 1, 1990. While the necessary renovations were being done, the Chapel opened in temporary quarters provided by St. Martin-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church on April 2, 1990 and moved into its facility on North Dixie Highway on September 1, 1990. The facility on North Dixie Highway was razed due to road construction and the Chapel purchased a building off Atlantic Blvd. In Pompano Beach.
In 2003 the County purchased property on Blount Road for emergency shelter providing an annex for Saint Laurence Chapel to move from the city of Pompano Beach to it’s present location in Pompano Beach at 1698 Blount Road.
To proclaim God’s love for people who are hungry and homeless by providing
hope and help in a caring, and non-judgmental environment.
We are committed to:
Recognizing that all people are loved by God as they are.
Providing a safe, caring and comfortable refuge.
Treating everyone in an atmosphere of respect,
dignity and compassion while meeting their basic human needs.
Recognizing that each person is an individual with individual needs and hopes
while providing them with opportunities to fulfill those hopes.
Serving without judgement
Being a voice for justice for those without a voice
Being advocates to raise awareness of the humanity of people who are homeless.